Shaved ice–or “shave ice,” as it’s brought in Hawaii–is thought to have started in Japan during the 1860s, where it’s called kakigori. It came to Hawaii with Japanese ranch laborers and immediately installed itself in Hawaiian food culture. Today, it’s served over frozen yogurt and finished off with seasoned syrups. For the fluffiest ice, utilize a shave-ice machine (about $35 from amazon.com). You can utilize a food processor to shave your ice, yet it will be clumpier. How to shave ice by hand?
- 2 cups pineapple blocks (around 1/2 new pineapple)
- 1 cup cut mango
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pound red plums, hollowed and cut
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, in addition to additional to taste
- 6 cups ice solid shapes
- 1 16 ounces vanilla frozen yogurt
- 1 can (14 oz.) improved dense milk
- Toasted coconut pieces
Instructions to Make It
- Make the pineapple-mango syrup: Put pineapple blocks, mango cuts, sugar, and 2 cups water in a medium pot and heat to the point of boiling over high warmth, blending until sugar breaks down. Lower warmth to a stew and cook until pineapple and mango are mollified, around 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, around 60 minutes. Fill a blender and purée into a thick syrup. Strain through a fine-network sifter and chill until prepared to utilize.
- Make the plum syrup: Put plums, sugar, and 1 cup water in a medium pan. Heat to the point of boiling over high warmth, mixing until sugar breaks up, at that point lower warmth to a stew, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Let sit until marginally cooled, around 10 minutes. Fill a blender with lemon juice and purée; taste and add more lemon juice on the off chance that you like. Strain through a fine-network sifter, adding more water if necessary for a thick syrup. Chill until prepared to utilize.
- Make shave ice: Process ice blocks in a food processor, 2 cups all at once, until 3D squares quit rattling and look like day off, no bumps. Or on the other hand, utilize a shave-ice machine.
- Add a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt to each serving dish. Top with shave ice, at that point sprinkle with one or the other syrup in addition to a shower of improved consolidated milk. Sprinkle with coconut chips.
- Make ahead: Syrups, chilled, as long as 5 days. Shave ice, frozen, as long as 1 day (spin again prior to serving to separate frigid clusters).
- Per presenting with 2 tbsp. Pineapple-Mango Syrup: 361 Cal., 14% (51 Cal.) from fat; 7.2g Protein; 5.6g Fat (3.6g sat.); 71g Carbo (1.6g fiber); 104mg Sodium; 28mg Chol.
- Note: Nutritional investigation is per presenting with 2 tbsp. Plum Syrup.how to make shaved ice at home with a blender?